What’s your Favorite Lame Lyric? Comment below…
Over on my FaceBook music page, I called for lame lyric nominations. I was thinking about poor Rebecca Black (whose song “Friday” is a huge YouTube phenomenon) and how embarrassed she’ll be when she someday learns what good songwriting is. See, she’s a kid – so she can be forgiven for lines like “tomorrow is Saturday, and Sunday comes afterwards” (don’t you love how great art contains these little epiphanies?) or “fun, fun, fun, fun” (brilliant stuff, that!).
Again, she’s a kid, so I don’t expect her lyrics to have the heft of Bob Dylan. But it’s fair to expect adults in pop music to be able to write coherent, intelligent songs, don’t you think?
So here are a few lyrics that fans and friends offered as examples of “lame”:
- Lori: “That’s easy. “Last Christmas, I gave you my heart, but the very next day, you gave it away…..” Please, it’s not really a Christmas song.”
- Chris: “Bad news on the doorstep / I couldn’t take one more step”. On the long lists of offenses perpetrated in American Pie.
- How about: “Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don’t think that I can take it/’Cause it took so long to bake it/And I’ll never have that recipe again…”
- Connor: “Partyin’ Partyin’ Yeah!” (that’s Rebecca Black again!)
- Mike: “You can’t rollerskate in a buffalo herd…”
- Jesse: “They saw…birthmarks all over her body. Mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm.”
- Kim: “I’ve got a brand new pair of roller skates, you’ve got a brand new key.”
- Brad: “Don’t mess with my toot toot”
- ”I break the yolks and make a smiley face…”
- Shane:”Although I hardly listen to Christian music anymore…and this is one of the main reasons: “obedience is neat”…FFH, Big Fish.”
- Joel: “The Pill” – Loretta Lynn!
- Robb: “Scott, the lyrics to “Electric Avenue”…”
- Chris: “There’s nothin’ that a hundred men on Mars could ever do…” [Scott’s note: it’s actually “hundred men or MORE”, so that may or my not change your opinion of “Africa” by Toto…]
I’d love to see your nomination for the Lame Lyric Award – please comment below!